This post may contain affiliate links.
Ashley Mann spent three years living full time in a 38-foot, 5th-wheel RV with her husband Josiah and their cat, Kitty. Her favorite thing about RV life is the challenge of finding the perfect way to organize a space, and she loves seeing all the creative and clever ways people come up with to customize their RVs.
Trying to find a hack for eliminating the pile of shoes next to the front door in your camper or motorhome? See if one of these DIY shoe rack ideas can help.
1. Shoe Organizer Hung on the Side of the Bed
A regular over-the-door shoe organizer can be cut into sections and hung around the base of a bed, or along a wall or cabinet. This is the perfect place to store shoes that doesn't take up any floor space.
- GOOD LOAD-BEARING DESIGN: 5 hanging holes, 10 pockets, increase the bearing capacity and better fix the organize
2. Shoe Organizer Hung on Front Door
This is one unique shoe storage idea! The Miles family uses a homemade shoe organizer right on the interior of their front door as a handy place to store flip-flops.
The back of the organizer is made from pet screen material edged with binding tape. Yhe pockets were made from mesh net fabric edged with bias tape and sewn to the pet screen through ribbon to reinforce the stitching.
Finally, the organizer was attached to the door using snaps. (Thank you to the Miles family for sharing such a detailed explanation!)
3. Space Saving Double Shoe Rack
This type of shoe rack is one of the most space-efficient styles I've seen! It lets you store shoes two layers deep, fitting double the pairs of shoes. You could mount it on a wall, door, side of a cabinet, along the bed, or anywhere you can find space.
- SPACE SAVER: This shoe rack can fit up to 8 pairs of shoes. which is very suitable for household shoes and bathroom slippers. It can put the shoes in the correct position and keep the shoes scattered on the ground in order.
4. Door Hooks to Hang Shoes Along Bed
Several RV owners have used over-the-door hooks, available online or inexpensively at Dollar Tree, as shoe hangers along the edge of the bed frame.
- Reversible Z-shaped Design - This over the door hook is engineered with the Z-shaped reversible constriction, which ensures it can fit the two popular door widths that includes 1 3/8” and 1 3/4” wide. Therefore, you can just sightly hang it over the door to create storage space and organize your clothes and items.1
5. Mug Hooks Used to Hang Flip Flops
One RV owner, who calls his wife a “sandal-aholic”, screwed mug hooks into a strip of wood for hanging flip-flops.
That's one way to keep your shoe collection on the road!
6. Small Shoe Cabinet
If you can find a spot to put it, a small shoe cabinet secured to the floor or wall (so it doesn't shift during travel) keeps shoes neatly out of site. This one comes in either white or gray:
7. Tray Top Storage Ottoman
A tray top storage ottoman makes a great place to store shoes worn less frequently because it provides an extra seat as well as a place to set drinks when you flip the lid over. This shoe storage bench comes in multiple different colors.
9. Wooden Shoe Racks
These wooden shoe racks are a lot cuter than many of the other shoe storage options on this list, especially if you're decorating your RV with a rustic theme. Plus, they can easily be installed in a small entryway.
- Set of 2 Wall mounted shoe rack storage shelves with rustic burnt wood finish for keeping your shoes neatly organized and stylishly displayed
10. Wall-Mounted Elastic Mesh Caddies
The nice thing about these mesh storage caddies compared with other wall-mounted shoe storage solutions is that it's less likely to hurt if you bang your shin on them, and when they aren't full of shoes they lay completely flat against the wall.
- What you can get:you will receive 2 pieces car storage net bags, which are suitable for most cars, and sufficient quantities can meet your daily use demands and replacement
11. Fifth Wheel Stair Modification
The space under the stairs is often wasted in RVs, but with some modifications, it can become the perfect shoe hiding spot.
These RV stairs had empty space underneath, so the owners simply turned them around to create access.
This under-stair storage cubby was created in an RV when the carpet was replaced with laminate flooring.
Other RV owners have added hinges to their stair treads so they can be opened to create storage inside.
12. Wall Storage Baskets
RV owner Amanda hung wall storage baskets using Command hooks to store shoes in the hallway of her fifth wheel RV.
You could try something similar with baskets like this:
- Wall Mount&Use in Flat: Every piece of metal wire basket can be wall mounted. Easy to hang on the wall or slatwall with pre-drilled holes and included accessories. Also, you can just place basket on flat surface, like work counter, kitchen counter, table top or desk.
13. Repurposed Cabinet
One clever RV owner purchased a kitchen cabinet to use as shoe storage. (Look for a cheap one at a Habitat for Humanity Restore!)
15. Adhesive Wall Mounted Shoe Racks
Don't want to drill holes in the walls in the walls of your RV? These adhesive plastic shoe racks may be the perfect solution for you! They come in a pack of 6, and you can get them in black or white.
- 【Simple】Very easy to install, make your home look more classy
15 Shoe Rack Ideas for Your RV
Hopefully these ideas will help you solve your own shoe storage problem!
For more ideas for organizing and storing things in a camper or motorhome, check out my RV organization resource page!